Fire Safety In The Kitchen

Fire Safety In The Kitchen

The kitchen is the most popular place in any home. As a rule, in the kitchen we not only prepare food and eat it, but we also gather as a family for communication. Modern technologies make cooking simple and safe, but spoiled by progress, we often forget that the kitchen remains the most dangerous place in our house anyway, due to the presence of open fire, hot surfaces and boiling liquids. How to make the kitchen safe and what to do in case of trouble? It is necessary to ensure compliance with fire safety rules in the kitchen and be able to react correctly in extreme situations, which include fire in the kitchen.

Fire safety rules in the kitchen

One of the most dangerous places in the kitchen is the stove. The main danger that can come from the stove is improper installation. It should be remembered that the installation of the slab should be carried out by specialists. Professionals should be entrusted with the maintenance of the plates.

If the wall covering of the kitchen is made of combustible materials, the stove must have a heat-resistant apron that is not in contact with the wall. The remaining surfaces that come in contact with the stove should also be heat-resistant, especially if its walls are very hot.

When using gas stoves, pay great attention to the condition of the gas pipes. If there is a suspicion of a gas leak, immediately call a gas service specialist. After cooking, the cooking zones must be switched off. A permanently activated burner is a source of serious danger.

Electric stoves must be connected using special connectors for electric stoves. The power source for the electric stove must be grounded. Like other electrical appliances, do not leave a cooking stove unattended.

Install all kitchen appliances so that the wires are as closed as possible and are as far away as possible from heating surfaces and open flames, especially away from the stove. Electrical appliances that are not currently in use must be turned off. Faulty electrical appliances and sockets must not be used.

The first sign that the appliance is operating abnormally is:

  • the smell of burning rubber or plastic,
  • sparks
  • crackle
  • unusual sounds
  • excessive heating of the device or its individual parts.

Causes of fires in the kitchen

It is worth remembering that safety in the kitchen depends, including on the cleanliness of the latter. Litter in the kitchen often causes serious trouble. Keep away from the stove everything that burns well: potholders, rags, towels, paper bags and boxes.

Curtains and curtains hanging next to the stove can catch fire from flaring up oil or sparks. All heating surfaces must be free of grease, oil and food debris that are flammable. Keep appliance wires dry and clean. Grease and water that spills on them can damage the insulation.

Do not store aerosols, paint in bottles or spray guns near the stove or other heated surfaces. They can explode from heat.

How to deal with a fire in the kitchen

What if the fire in the kitchen could not be avoided? First, don’t panic. Secondly, even if you are confident in the safety of your kitchen, always keep on hand a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher or portable fire extinguisher ball, soda or a can of sand to help cope with a fire.

Water can extinguish a fire in a bin or a lit towel, but sometimes extinguishing with water can be ineffective or even dangerous. In no case should you extinguish burning oil with water or pour it into the sink. The fire from this intensifies, sparks and flames scatter throughout the kitchen, this can cause a real fire. Unnecessarily do not carry dishes with burning oil in the sink. Turn off the stove first. Extinguish a tan in a pan or on the floor.

Oil can be in the following ways:

  • cover the pan;
  • fill with soda, soil from a flower pot, sand or detergent, for example, washing powder;
  • quickly cover the pan with a wet rag and do not remove until it stops burning.

No need to wave a towel or apron while trying to bring down the flames. Instead of soda, do not use other baking products, such as flour or starch, they burn very well.

If the appliance ignites, turn off the power. If this is not possible, de-energize the apartment by turning off the power in the electrical panel.

Do not fill with water or cover with a wet cloth an appliance that is not unplugged. After disconnecting, the appliance is covered with a dense cloth (blanket or blanket) to block the access of oxygen to the burning site. Then, if possible, take the appliance to the bathroom and fill it with water or use the other extinguishing methods described above. If you see that you can’t put out the fire yourself, call the firefighters immediately.

References:

https://www.hss.edu/sneaker-cookbook-parents-kitchen-safety.asp

Basic Rules of Kitchen Safety